What to do if you are involved in an accident:

  • call 911 immediately if there are any injuries.
  • If you think your vehicle is drivable, move it to a safe area such as to the side of the road.
  • Call the police. In some areas, police authorities may not respond to every accident scene. They may consider factors such as the severity and location of the accident (some police authorities will not come to the scene if the accident is on private property). However, you should attempt to notify the police.  You should also be aware that most policies require notification to the police within a specified time period if the accident is a hit and run.
  • When you are able, obtain names, addresses, telephone numbers, and driver’s license numbers from all drivers involved and phone numbers from witnesses. Also obtain license plate(s) and vehicle identification numbers.  Ask to see driver’s license(s) and vehicle registration(s) to verify the information is accurate.
  • If you have a camera or a cellphone, take photographs of the damage, and the accident scene (traffic controls, visual obstacles).
  • If the owner of a damaged car or damaged property cannot be located, leave a note with the names and addresses of the driver and owners of the involved cars.
  • Notify your agent and/or your insurance company immediately.
  • If anyone is injured or the vehicle damage exceeds $750.00, you must report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days. Failure to notify the DMV may result in the suspension of your driver’s license. (insurance.ca.gov).

If your vehicle is not drivable and you need a tow truck service, please read our tow truck scams and advice blog.



Leave a Reply